How To Claim A Tax Rebate As A Seafarer

Accountancy Resources

How To Claim A Tax Rebate As A Seafarer

Tax Author: Admin


If you are a seafarer and have had tax deducted from your wages you may be able to claim a full tax rebate.

We answer some of the most common questions on claiming tax back when working at sea.

If you can not see the answer you are looking for, please do not hesitate to email one of our tax experts:

I Work At Sea, Can I Claim A Tax Rebate?

Possibly. If you work at sea and you are an employee of a UK company who has taken tax from your wages you may be able to claim all of your tax back. You need to have been at sea for more than 183 days and meet some other conditions also.

How Can I Claim My Seafarers’ Rebate?

You will need to complete a self-assessment tax return to claim your rebate. You can either do this yourself or an experienced tax accountant can help you make your claim, quickly and easily.

Who Is Classed As A ‘Seafarer’?

Anyone that works on a ship is classified as a seafarer. The Inland Revenue specifically states that there is no definition of what is classified as a ship in tax law. However, they do state that any offshore platforms or installations are not counted.

I Worked At Sea More Than 4 Years Ago. Can I Still Apply For A Tax Refund?

Yes, the time limit to make any claim is 6 years. So if you worked any time as a seafarer within the last 6 years you can still make a claim.

Can I Apply For A National Insurance Rebate Too?

If you are a resident of the UK you can claim a portion of your national insurance contributions back. If you are not a resident and meet certain criteria you may be able to claim more back. To apply and to learn more about this you can view the following page about: claiming a national insurance rebate.